What if I can’t find my former spouse?

Sometimes you don’t know where your ex spouse is at, but you still need to get a divorce.  There is a procedure to allow this to happen.  First, you must make reasonable efforts to located your former spouse.  You must do searches on the internet, contact family and try to arrange for service.  If these efforts are not successful, then you can make an application to the Court for a procedure called “Substitutional Service”.  This allows a person to get instructions from the Judge as to what procedure to follow. The Judge may allow you to mail a copy to a family member, publish a notice in a newspaper where you ex lives, or other procedures suggested by the Judge.  This will allow you to proceed with the divorce and still satisfy the Court requirement that your ex has knowledge of the action.  For more information or a FREE consultation, please call us at (403) 560-8550 or email us at affordabledivorce@shaw.ca.  Please visit our website for more information about a Calgary Divorce.  We have offices across Alberta.  Please click on the links to visit our offices in Calgary, Edmonton, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge and Red Deer.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *